New Jersey Car Accident Lawyers
Fighting for Car Accident Victims
While New Jersey ranks as one of the safest states to drive in, many car, truck and motorcycle accidents still occur with great frequency, mostly due to speeding, distracted driving, driving while texting or while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
If you are suffering financially, physically or emotionally after being in a car accident caused by a negligent or reckless driver, you do not have to handle it alone. A skilled car accident lawyer can negotiate with the insurance company for a fair settlement and also file a lawsuit for damages if the insurance company won’t pay enough to adequately reimburse you for expenses such as:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages and/or reduced earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Wrongful death
- Punitive damages
At Keefe Law Firm, our attorneys, paralegals and investigators have decades of experience handling powerful insurance companies and negligent drivers, both at the negotiation table and in the courtroom. We have prevailed repeatedly in car accident lawsuits, as well as those involving motorcycle wrecks, drunk driving accidents and truck crashes.
Keefe Law Firm Testimonial 1
New Jersey Motor Vehicle Accident Helpful FAQs
Know your legal rights if you have been in a car, truck, motorcycle or pedestrian accident. The following is critical “need to know” information on dealing with insurance companies, the costs and process of personal injury lawsuits and steps to take to protect your interests if you have been involved in an accident.
What it costs to file a car accident claim or lawsuit
Car and other motor vehicle accident cases are classified as personal injury lawsuits,
which are typically handled on a contingency basis. This means that you will not have to pay for any legal expenses up front or during the handling of your case. When your case settles, legal fees are deducted from the insurance settlement or trial award.
What Happens When You File a Car, Truck or Motor Vehicle Accident Lawsuit
When you choose to work with Keefe Law Firm, you get not only an experienced, skilled litigator but an entire team of professionals working together to obtain the best possible result for you. Our attorneys, paralegals and investigators thoroughly manage every step of your case, including:
Conducting a comprehensive investigation of your accident
Our investigators begin by reconstructing the event. He or she will visit the scene of the accident, confirm the weather and road conditions, photograph or video the site and surrounding areas, interview witnesses and review the police report and all other official documentation. The final investigation report will confirm the facts, analyze the circumstances and provide evidence-based conclusions as to the causes of the accident.
Preparing a complete harm assessment: physical, emotional and financial
Our team will review all of your medical reports, financial records and insurance coverage information as well as interview you to document the extent of damages to yourself and your property. This is a critical step in preparing for settlement negotiations or trial.
Discussing all options with you
Prior to making any decisions on how to proceed with your case, your lawyer and paralegal will explain the intricacies of your matter in plain English. Our goal is to always ensure you understand all options available to you as well as the possible outcomes.
Completing and filing all necessary insurance paperwork
Keefe Law Firm will handle the completion and on-time filing of all paperwork and documents with insurance companies, healthcare organizations, opposing attorneys and the courts as necessary.
Aggressively negotiating a settlement agreement with the insurance company
From the outset, our attorneys prepare every case for trial and are ready to litigate. This level of preparedness ensures we have an extremely strong negotiation position when dealing with insurance companies.
Litigating your case at trial
If the insurance company will not budge on a settlement amount that is fair, your attorney may advise bringing the case to trial. He or she will thoroughly prepare you for any court appearances and see the case through to its resolution. All court appearances and trial dates will be scheduled by your Keefe Law Firm team.
Six Things to Do if You Are in a Car or Truck Accident
The time immediately following a car accident is the most crucial. To ensure that you have all the information you need after a crash, you should:
- Get emergency medical attention. Make sure everyone if OK. If you or anyone else involved is injured, call 911 to request an ambulance right away. Even if you believe you have no car accident injuries, you should still seek medical attention as soon as possible. Some injuries may not be apparent until hours or days after a crash, so a prompt visit to the emergency room or your own doctor is key.
- Get the police report.You need a police report even for minor fender-benders. If you are able, make sure you give the officer the facts as you know them and ask how to get a copy of the report. Typically, police reports are available at the local police station shortly after the accident. The police report is one of the best pieces of evidence for an insurance claim and personal injury lawsuit.
- Take photos and get contact information. If you are able, take photos or a video of the damage and the surrounding area with your phone. Also, make sure you get the insurance, license, registration and contact information of any other drivers involved. If there are witnesses, get their phone numbers, too.
- DO NOT speak to the other driver’s insurance company before you call a lawyer. Even if you think your case is simple and straightforward, you should always get legal advice. Pushy insurance adjusters may call you just hours or even minutes after the accident, before you know the extent of the damage or while you are still in a state of shock. You do not have to speak to them, despite what they might say. Instead, direct them to your lawyer after you retain one.
- Write it Down. After you get home and while the accident is still fresh in your mind, take a half hour or so to record all the details of the accident. Note where you were going, who was with you, what the weather was like, etc. No specifics are too small.You can also use your mobile phone to verbally record your recollections if that is easier. The audio can easily be transcribed by your attorney.
- Do NOT post ANYTHING about the accident on any social media. Period.
How to File a Claim After a Car Crash in New Jersey
Generally, the New Jersey statute of limitations on claims for car accidents involving injuries, damage or loss in is two years. Many car accident injury claims take months or even a year to fully process. If you and your attorney decide to file a personal injury lawsuit after settlement negotiations fail, it will take even longer to get compensation if the other side is not cooperating. For this reason, it is best if you begin the process of filing your claim as soon as possible.
New Jersey has a “no-fault” car insurance law. Many people mistakenly believe this means that blame is not assigned in a motor vehicle accident. What “no-fault” means in New Jersey is that medical coverage for injuries sustained in a car accident is provided by your insurance company–regardless of who caused the accident.
Once the paperwork is filed, your insurance company will investigate the incident. This may involve an interview, a request for your medical records and an inspection of the damage to your car. Insurance adjusters may ask misleading questions or delay the proceedings to avoid paying a fair settlement. Your attorney will deal with these problems on your behalf. Then, after negotiations, if the insurance company does not offer you a fair settlement, filing a personal injury lawsuit may be in your best interest.
At Keefe Law Firm, our attorneys can represent you in your fight against negligent drivers and their insurance companies. We have decades of experience with these kinds of cases, and we can put that experience to work for you.
Injured In A Car Accident? Our Lawyers Will Provide A Free Case Evaluation
At Keefe Law Firm, we stand for our injured clients to attain nothing less than the compensation they deserve. Talk to a Keefe Law Firm lawyer today about your options.